Saturday 31 March 2012


1 March 2012

My flight to the Gambia took off at the relatively civilised hour of 10:00 am, meaning that I didn't have to be at Gatwick until about 7:30 am. As I am usually used to bumbling about at 4:00 am and leaving for the airport in darkness, it was quite nice to leave when it was light. Luke drove me there, but then had to rush off to work, and it only took 10 minutes to check in, so I was able to have a leisurely latte, browse the shops, and read my latest Kindle download before boarding.

I thought I had hit on a brilliant strategy of renting a film through iTunes to play on my laptop, making up for the lack of in-flight movie on the six hour flight. I had chosen 'First Grader', an inspiring film about an 84 year old man who took advantage of Kenya's new law allowing free access to education for all. However, the seats were so small it was only possible to view it by holding it at a very strange angle on my lap – however, it was worth the discomfort!

As always, the comforting warmth that wrapped round my shoulders at the door of the plane felt lovely, and even the waiting around to clear immigration and collect my case didn't seem to take too long. Of course, it was lovely to see Lamin again after 4 months, and to meet his cousin Zilbert, and before long we were on the road heading to Brikama. There we stopped at the 'Nice to be Nice' bar for drinks; meeting up with John Sambou (Naomi's husband). Lamin disappeared to buy fish and chicken, whilst I shook hands with everyone who came into the bar, and ended up holding my first (but certainly not my last) Gambian baby, who surprisingly did not burst into terrified tears at the prospect of a white face! We waited for some time because Michael (the best man from our wedding) had called to say he was on his way to see us – he was travelling from his barracks in Bakau, which is some distance, and he was only able to stay a short while, but it was great to see him.

After some more shopping at the supermarket, we then headed out of the hustle and bustle of Brikama onto the Gunjur Highway, an excellent tarmaced road with very little traffic. We passed the usual sights that had amazed me so much on my first visit, but were now very familiar: women carrying large bowls or piles of wood on their heads (often with a baby tied to their back), donkey carts pulling firewood, children playing games perilously close to the road and of course, the palm trees all around. It really felt like coming home.

But Balaba is truly my second home! It's hard to describe the peace and tranquility there, and how relaxing it is to sit under the trees listening to the BBC World Service and talking with friends. I had a very interesting conversation with Lamin's brother Numo, and his cousin Zilbert, about the plans of their Youth Association to develop a bee-keeping project to provide employment for the young people. I was invited to their meeting on Sunday to find out more.

I slept really well after so much traveling. Waking the next morning to the sounds of the African dawn chorus is probably the best way in the world to start the day!


No comments:

Post a Comment