Thursday 13 December 2012

Back in The Gambia again!


7 December 2012
After spending so long in the UK, it's hard to believe I am finally back in the Gambia. The year 2012 has certainly been an eventful one! After I returned to the UK in April I was thrown straight into training and a test event for the London Olympics. I was delighted to have been accepted as a Gamesmaker, and thrilled to be working for the Press Operations Photo Team in the Water Polo venue, which was part of the stunning Aquatics complex. You may have seen publicity about the Gamesmakers at the Olympics, and I can honestly say it was one of the best experiences of my life! Not only did I get to be in the Olympic Park almost every day, with an electric atmosphere, but I also got to work with the best sports photographers in the world, often getting to sit right next to the pool and watch every match. On the night Team GB won three athletics medals I finished my shift and watched the races on the Press Room TV, then went outside to hear the cheering in the stadium – it made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up! Lamin came to stay for three months in the summer, and we managed to get Olympic tickets, so he was also able to get a taste of the excitement.






The other major event this year was the birth of my new grandson Joshua. Although he wasn't very well when he was born, he's doing very well now, and is, of course, very beautiful. His big sister is very pleased with him (most of the time), and it's definitely lovely to be a grandmother again.



So now I am back in the Gambia – this time until April, so I will be here for Christmas. We are now into the dry season again, but it's still quite green from the rain, and the camp is alive with insects such as huge swallowtail butterflies. This is a novelty for me, as they have usually died off by the time I arrive, and I spent some time this morning trying to photograph them, but as they are never still, it's a bit tricky! Still, I've included a shot so you can see what they look like.





I am hoping to have amore reliable internet connection this visit, so I will do my best to keep my blog updated and keep you informed about what's happening here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment